Friday, December 5, 2014

Sunshine - Bright Sunshine

Since I am doing my best to re-connect and blog more and since it is a down-right gloomy day outside and has been ever since I came home with barely a peek of the sun, I am sharing a few of the many, many photos I took while in California.  We have no sun here, yet in California there is almost too much sun.  I say that with tongue in cheek (you know, kinda kidding) because how could one possibly say there is too much sun, especially in November/December.  I am stating this as a "photographer", the sun was so low in the sky being as it was very late November, casting an extremely bright light on your subject, but really bad shadows, creating a total light/dark contrast. Taking photos in this kinda light is not the best, but heh, I am not complaining about the abundance of sunshine, just the effect it has on photography.

The colors in southern California are intense, the blues are so blue, the reds, whites, oranges, and yellows are so full of rich deep color.



Even the bills on the sea gulls are bright red....


And the pink on the pigeons, dazzling...









So when the sun isn't shining here, which sometimes goes on for long stretches, denying us that wonderful light, I can easily get a blast of the sun just by re-visiting my photos.

As we wandered thru Laguna Beach, one of my favorite places to wander, we went into a shop that was just FULL of STUFF.  And I spotted this and I swear it was the only thing I bought other than a scrubby for showering, but now how could I resist this....??


Thanks for welcoming me back!!

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."  ~Lou Holtz

Until next time.....

17 comments:

  1. Excellent photos. The colors are rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the mug is too cute. :) love all the brilliant colors in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *gasp* I just love every photo! That patio! The window! Amazing in whatever light you had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mug! Sun - what's that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I am such a fan of your photography. My husband went to Laguna Beach in September. He kept texting me al the sunsets, etc. I so wanted to be there. Blogging has taken a back seat with me for a while. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with all my favorite bloggers very well. My daughter arrives tomorrow, so I'm super excited. I will catch back up with you after the craziness dies down. So good to see your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to California, and probably won't ever go..unless we do make it to see the redwoods. The colors you captured are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous group of California shots. Thanks for brightening up my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant photos . . . for sure the go to place when the weather is gloomy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very nice to see color on a Midwestern blog in the winter....it has been equally gloomy here. And congrats on you fund raising....your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos, Deanna and nice to see you blogging again! The colors are really beautiful in California! I love the beach scene with that blue, blue water and sky! Winter is so dark here in the North and the only colors we see are grays and browns and the white of snow, so these lovely scenes are a treat for sore eyes. I hope you got a nice tan :) xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice to see you blogging again, Deanna! :)
    Wow, how glorious these are! Such a contrast with dreich Scotland.
    The sailboat shot would make a wonderful poster.
    And your cup is so cute! :D
    Happy second Sunday of Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love seeing photos of your trips and these tell me that you had such a great time in California. The mug is fantastic! And, oh, yes, Deanna! I hear ya on the sun thing. I honestly can't remember the last time the sun shone brightly on my old Kentucky home. But it is what it is so onward we go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love sunshine, but if I had it all the time would I appreciate it like I do now when I get a day of it in the winter? Probably not. I have learned to embrace gray days for shooting the iPhone work I like to shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sister lives in Laguna Niguel so we spent a good deal of time at Laguna Beach during my visit at the first of the year - I think I have nearly convinced my husband to ditch this whole east coast thing and move there. Beautiful! These are wonderful doses of sunshine after days and days of rain (was starting to get concerned that I didn't have Noah on speed-dial).

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a happy and cheery post. I just LOVE your photos. I so wish I was on that beach in the first shot. Those were some gorgeous flowers below the beach shot and well gosh every photo just made me smile with pleasure. Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks as if you enjoyed this beautiful and bright spot! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truth be told, I cried that I couldn't attend. I keep saying that my time will come...Hope you are finding beauty in the holiday Deanna. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.